We're moving! FH&P is relocating to Landmark 4 (Dickson Ave) and is scheduled to be completed by January 2024.

Go back to news + community

COVID-19, Immigration Law

Temporary Workers And Students Given Until August

January 28, 2021 by Carly Perryman

Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has extended the policy put in place as a result of COVID-19 to allow temporary foreign residents who had valid status on or after January 30, 2020 and whose status will expire on or before May 31, 2021 to apply to restore their status as long as it is before August 31, 2021.

Normally, temporary residents have only 90 days to apply to restore their status. Since COVID-19 caused service disruptions at IRCC those affected have been given extra time to apply.

In order to be eligible, temporary residents must:

1. Have not left Canada since entry;

2. Must have lost their status on or after January 30, 2020;

3. Pay the required fees to restore their status.

If you have a Canadian work permit, visitor permit, student permit or any temporary resident status that has expired, please contact us as soon as possible to find out your options for restoring your status in Canada.

Eligible Temporary Workers Who are Out of Status May Apply for Authorization to Begin Employment before New Work Permit Approved

Temporary foreign workers already in Canada who are out of status can apply to IRCC for interim authorization to work while they wait for a decision on their work permit and restoration application. In order to be eligible to apply the applicant must:

1. already be in Canada;

2. have a job offer;

3. have applied for an employer specific work permit and restoration;

4. paid all of the required fees;

5. have held a valid work permit for 12 months before submitting the work permit and restoration application.

If you would like more information about this policy, please contact us today

Reference: Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada Public Policy

New Policy to Help Former International Students

International Students contribute over $21 billion annually to Canada’s economy and support Canadian communities. Foreign nationals in Canada affected by the COVID-19 pandemic with an expired Post Graduate Work Permit can apply for another open work permit. This special work permit will be valid for 18 months and allow former international students to remain in Canada, continue to seek employment and build their future in Canada.

Reference: Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada Newsroom

Contact us for more information about applying for this special work permit

FH&P Lawyers LLP are a full-service immigration law firm and are happy to assist you with all of your immigration law needs. Our experienced and knowledgeable team will be happy to help you determine the best path for success in achieving your specific immigration goals.

Contact us today to set up and schedule a consultation - imm@fhplawyers.com, call (250) 980-2305 or take our FREE IMMIGRATION ASSESSMENT.