November 12th, 2020 by FH&P Lawyers

Our family law team is experienced in a wide range of services including helping in marriage contracts, cohabitation contracts, separation agreements, divorce proceedings and custody disputes.

A common question separating parents have during this difficult scenario is “How much child and/or spousal support does one partner have to pay?”

The answer does weigh a couple of different factors. Partner Heidi Taylor, who has years of family law experience answers that very question.


A question I received today from one of my clients was, “Is my income from my tax return what's going to be used to determine how much child and spousal support I have to pay?”

The answer is, it depends, if you are an employee then probably, the income that you file on your tax return each year will help determine how much child or spousal support you pay. However if you are self-employed or you control a company or trust partnership then probably not, we're going to have to do a little bit more digging to find out what your income will be for child and spousal support purposes. Basically, we want to make sure that there is a fair amount of income available for the support of a dependent spouse and children.

If you have any further questions, please reach out to us here at FH&P Lawyers for your legal needs.

Blog Search

VIDEO - Employees vs. Contractors

One of the questions our business law team hears is "What is the difference between employees and independent contractors?"

VIDEO - Land Owner Transparency

Monday is the introduction of the new Land Owner Transparency Registry as Nancy Ling explains

Legal Bites - Heidi Taylor

Heidi became the first female partner at FH&P in 2011 and leads a compassionate Family Law Department with six lawyers