To our valuable clients and future clients:
Despite the effects of COVID-19 shutting down many businesses in our communities, legal issues for individuals, businesses and corporations continue to develop and progress. In some instances, COVID-19 has caused legal issues to rise creating an even more urgent need for legal advice and assistance.
Given the above, FH&P Lawyers is staying open for business to continue to assist our clients and welcomes new clients who need legal assistance during this time.
In order to remain open, we have placed safety precautions and procedures in place to protect ourselves and the people we serve. Legal support services have also implemented new policies to adapt and overcome the barriers that COVD-19 places on the legal practice.
The following is a short summary of several ways that we can continue to assist you with your legal needs:
- Most of our staff and lawyers are working remotely from home, but we are meeting with current and new clients, via telephone or video (Zoom). For most matters, you can safely meet with a lawyer from your home. The Courts of British Columbia, and the Land Title Office, have relaxed some of the procedures that formerly required a face to face meeting, or original documents, during the current crisis. Please contact us … you may not need a face-to-face meeting.
- During this time, face-to-face meetings will be avoided and held by alternative means, unless absolutely necessary. If attendance at our office is required, we assure you of the following applicable precautions:
- a minimum of 30 minutes notice of the meeting is required prior to attending the meeting;
- all face-to-face meetings will be held in accordance with social distancing protocols recommended by the Public Health Authority. Our measures include:
- maintaining a minimum of 2 metres between individuals;
- requiring clients and FH&P personnel to sanitize hands prior to the meeting and immediately after;
- ready access to hand sanitizer, handwashing facilities, and tissues;
- ensuring adequate ventilation; and
- other sanitary procedures as necessary.
- Please bring your own pen, or one will be provided to you, that you will take away with you.
- the reception and boardroom areas will be sanitized prior to and immediately after meetings, including the reception counter, and chairs and tables in the boardroom;
- all door handles, elevator buttons, and hand railings will be sanitized frequently throughout the day.
- While the Courts of British Columbia have closed for non-emergency issues, any matters of considerable urgency will continue to be heard by the courts through application to the Court Registry. For matters that do not meet that criteria, we can still file lawsuits and start the process, so that some of the time delays that are built into the court system, are used up during this crisis. In many cases, we can advance your case as many pre-trial procedures, including examinations for discovery or mediation, can now be done remotely via video conference.
FH&P Lawyers is committed to resolving our clients’ legal matters while they remain safe and healthy at home with their families. We move forward continuing to monitor COVID-19 and amending and adapting to required changes in order to best serve our community and our people.
If you would like more information on how we can immediately assist you with your legal matter, please call us at 250-762-4222 or click here to contact us and we will respond within 24 hours.
Wishing you and your families wellness and good health.
FH&P Lawyers and support staff.